Tuesday, July 27, 2010

 

Traffic, Connection and Peace

Driving to Glendale, CA yesterday for a workshop, I was assaulted by a different reality from what I had for the last couple weeks--traffic. L.A. style traffic. Cars whizzing past me on the freeway while I am going the speed limit. Trucks slicing and dicing the lanes in order to get a few seconds ahead, a dude and his middle finger because I waited for the traffic to clear. Ahhh, too much of too many. Where is everyone going in such a rush? Where am I going? Civility is rare on the streets of metro L.A.

How do I handle it? First, I turned up the music to distract me and then I simply observed the mad rush. My meditation was so deep I missed my turn-off and it resulted in a 45 minute delay in arriving at my destination.

I was in rural northern CA and Oregon for a couple weeks and it was mostly serene (no, not Portland). Today was a stark reminder to me that the value of the jumbo city is in its productivity. It is not about peace. I am soothed by the slower pace of smaller communitries. I sleep better, I smile more and I can smell the roses. People I met up north of all ages were calmer and friendlier.

What keeps me here? Friends and family. That is it. Toto. Does that trump all other factors? Well, in the modern world of connectivity it is easy and cheap to stay in touch but there is nothing like the personal, the human, the presence. Teleseminars don't work for me, on line courses don't impact, distance coaching limited communication. Dig the internet, do all kinds of social networking but the human, in person is the connection of life. So much is shared by gestures and presence that it can't be replaced digitally. The digital is a highway but it is not a destination. The isolation often leads to insensitivity to other people as demonstrated by the traffic.

Went to a weekend music festival in Garberville with some old friends. The crowd was feeling the music and the community. Could have listed to the music at home but it is not the same. Imagine attending a sporting match and watching on TV. Two different experiences. In fact, even at this moment as I write this blog, I am at a local coffee house. Most of the people are here for the connection with other people. Humans are social creatures.

Back to the L.A. traffic. That is the big challenge, how to maintain humanity and connection in the massive anonymity? Cut down on encounters with the middle finger and boost the smiles. Reach for human connection and smile and say hi and wave the whole hand, not the finger. Get out of your house. Slow down when you drive. It will make a happier day. Thanks for smiling.

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]